October 2015

October 2015
This is me! October 2015

Thursday, May 14, 2015

I'm Not Defined by the Numbers

I finally got back to the  Made to Crave series.  Wow, I really needed this chapter this week.  I had my first bad weight in just yesterday.  Now, before this I told myself time and time again that I will have a weigh that is not a loss. It is just part of the process.  I might even be working really hard and there might seem to be no reason for it.

Well, this happened this week.  I had a first gain and it is 1.4lbs!




I can’t exactly say that this came from no where, but I don’t think it I a real gain but some water weight from high sodium.  I did have I an opps though.   ’

This happened Tuesday night.  Well, my very hard working husband has been getting home later and later during the evenings (he is a farmer).  My goal is to eat some with my daughter, usually my salad and then when my husband comes home I eat the rest of my meal.  So, this is my intent, but it doesn't always happen.  Sometimes I get too hungry.  Sometimes it gets too late.  I think it was a variety of both that evening.

I had made roasted red potato wedges and I was having a turkey dog while my husband and daughter were going to have brats.  This was probably my first mistake.    I LOVE brats and at the time I had ’planned’ this meal I thought I would be ok with this, I maybe should have just planned a real brat into our meal because we really don’t have them very often.    So, this started out ok and I ate my salad.  I got my daughter ready for bed and she was playing and I was still pretty hungry.  I ate my turkey hotdog.

Then when my husband got home he grilled up the brats (I had them boiled so it didn’t take too long) while I put our daughter to bed.   Then, yup, you guessed it when I was finished the brats smelled so good that I had one too!

So…that is 7 points for a brat and 3 points for a wheat hotdog bun, 10 extra points.  Then later when I was entering them into my meal I realized that I had made an opps and forgot to put a bun in at all, even for the turkey hotdog! So, with both it was 6 points.  So, I was 16 points over my goal for the day!  OUCH!




Yup, that says that on Tuesday I used up 47 points and my goal is 32.  That is not helpful at all especially the day before a weigh in.

I will say on Wednesday I did all I could to make up for even just the sodium.  I drank TONS of water (I lost count) and ate pretty light all day.  I stopped drinking water the last two hours before my weight in so I wouldn't hold it.   I had checked my weight at home various times throughout the day and right away in the morning I was 2lbs up but as the day was going on it kept going home so I was hopeful.

I went to my meeting, got on the scale and can’t say I was terrible surprised to see I was up a pound and four ounces.

I was disappointed though, really disappointed.   I silently cursed myself during the entire meeting and I had a thought of pulling into a fast food place for a hurt feelings splurge like, “ha body!  See what happens when you keep weight on when I want it off.”  Yeah, that would have worked.

Well, I didn’t.  I stuck to my plan completely and kept to my point plan for the day.   I was not a happy camper.  There was a point last night though that I wasn't sure if I was upset about the gain or more upset that I was so upset with myself.  Ga!

So, again…this Made to Crave chapter is “I’m Not Defined by the Numbers.”   Yup, I needed that!

Lysa makes a point to say right out that, “Like many women, I’d (Lysa) struggled with a flawed perception of myself.  My sense of identity and worth were dependent on the wrong things.”   So, I want to add something to this.   My sense of identity, worth, and success were dependent on the wrong things.  

This does not pertain to weight loss or body image, but how someone does financially, how they perceive they deal with their relationships, their career status…

What is beneficial and vital is to exchange these perceptions with what really is the answer.   His truth and foundation is our identity.  Lysa says, “It is important to fill our hearts and minds with God’s words.”

In the past, what the scale said last night might have defeated me.  I could have thought that I am a failure.  I had worked out practically every day last week and all but one stuck to my calorie goal.  I had sabotaged myself so what was the point with continuing?

But, I won’t let the scale define me or my success.  It isn’t about the numbers it is about my identify.  God’s love for me and my love of myself.  How I am bettering myself and becoming healthier one day at a time during this journey.  It is about the overall journey, not every bump.  My overall journey with weight loss is still going very well.



One of my favorite lines from this chapter Lysa has us say over and over again.  “I can step on the scale and see the numbers as an indication of how much my body weighs and not as indication of my worth.”

That one evening did not define my entire journey...or my entire week.   Looking at my week at a glance my week went well.


I stayed at or near my point goal every day except for Tuesday.  I wish there was an easier way to see how many activity points each day I earned because like on Thursday it looks like I went over a lot but I actually have about 8 ap and I added 4 to my daily goal for the extra work.

If you look at the screen shot from my steps per day it helps give you a little better idea.  I rocked this week on steps for most days.  Sunday was not so good, but other than that got 10,000 every day.







So, if you remember my goal is to use half of my activity points.  As you can see above I was quite a ways from that goal (32 out of 41).  I can say honestly I did not use any of my extra weekly points, so at least there is that.

So, what can I learn from this?  For one, every day counts.   I did need to watch myself and try to plan accordingly, but be prepared to go off plan if need be.

Also, and most importantly that the scale does not say anything really.  The overall picture is not about the numbers but how I am doing.  The steps I am taking and how I am feeling.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment