October 2015

October 2015
This is me! October 2015

Monday, February 2, 2015

Friends Don't Let Friends Eat before Thinking

So...last week I was down 2.4lbs down!  So, a total 5.6 pounds outta here!  It was also my forth Weight Watchers meeting so I received my first charm.  They have different charms for different milestones like 4th week, 5% lost, 10%...  I am excited and hope to have more of these little beauties on the key chain of my purse.



So, the next chapter in the Made to Crave series is Friends Don't Let Friends Eat before Thinking."  Pretty appropriate for super bowl week!   This chapter talked a LOT about accountability.  Well, yup I have that!

I have accountability of my ladies at my Weight Watchers meetings. 
I have accountability from people on facebook because I really put things out there!
I have lots of accountability and support from family and friends as they encourage, support, and cheer for me along this journey!

The verse of this chapter really stuck out to me.  Quote from the book, "how the devil prowls about like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour-- is tucked right at the end of a passage that says, "Cast all of your anxieties on him because he cares for you.   Be self-controlled and alert" (1 Peter 5: 7-8)."   

Well, I definitely had some anxieties come up last week.  After four weeks of rocking Weight Watchers I was concerned when illness (an awful cold) struck my family last week.  Additionally, midweek I had a doctor's appointment where I had a pap-smear and my Mirena IUD removed.  The combination of those and some other things caused me to have two large panic attack episodes and general anxiety issues most of the week.

I could have caved into emotional eating multiple times.  It might have been easier to not worry about 'counting points' or watching what I was eating.  It might have been permissible but not beneficial.


That is one of the bible quotes from Chapter 1 of the Made to Crave series!  I have returned to that quote and previous chapters many times!

Well, one of the things that Lysa said is friends are there to help us with this journey!  They will help us get what we want in the long term.  

That reminds me of one of my other favorite quotes that was not in the book (at least not yet).  It is "Don't trade what you want most for what you want that moment."  I am not sure where it is from.

I had one of those moments last week.  Last Monday I really wanted something fatty, sweet...like a big hunk of peanut butter!  Instead of going for that I went for this...


It was fruit with a few dollops of lite cool whip!  It hit my sugar cravings.  I had almost been in tears in my quest for wanting to go for something with a LOT more points and when I sat down with this I did break down a little.  The tears only lasted for a few minutes.  I think it was a combination of being tired, overwhelmed, relieved with a my choice, and the realization that I was changing.   Mostly happy tears.  :)

The next evening was my appointment and my first panic attack.   I had felt it building all day.  I had taken some medication to calm myself and when I started feeling myself starting to lose it I did something that I have not tried before.  I got on my elliptical and 'rode' through it.  Wow!  I have known that exercise was definitely something I could turn to but had not had the availability of cardio equipment right in my home before.  The relief of the physical exercise (and probably my medication taking affect also) was almost instantaneous.  It was a hard 40 minutes workout too at about 10:00pm at night.   Do you know that feeling that you get at the end of a workout after the cool down, feeling your chest relax and really feeling like you can breath?  Well, I felt this during the workout.  It was awesome.  It had been the first time I had worked out since the previous Friday because of being sick.   
This chapter also really emphasized on finding an accountability partner.  With this person you should be able to pray for each other, hold each other accountable, and report in to each other.  I spent some time thinking of this specific person.  I have some amazing people in my life that cound do this for me but one that really struck out is my friend Amber.  First of all, I already pretty much check in with her daily.  She has been such a great encouragement and support.  I also know that she is trying to eat healthy and lose some weight.  So I asked her.  She said yes.  :)

To continue with my week.  Something else that happened last week was going to visit my mother for two nights.  We really had a wonderful time and the time flew, but it made it difficult to get my workout routine in.  I had taken along some exercise videos but had not gotten to those because we had stayed pretty busy.   It is difficult staying on plan at someone else's home and eating out multiple times...but I did!

While staying with my mom who was aware of my being on Weight Watchers and was very supportive and additionally bringing some Weight Watcher friendly food items with me, I stayed at or under my points the entire visit!

While taking care of my sick daughter and being sick myself, I stayed within my points!  

When going to a good friends house and eating frozen pizza, I stayed within my points!

On the days of two large panic attacks and having general anxiety issues the entire week, I stayed on plan!  

I am surprised and proud of myself.  I am getting even more hopeful that I am finally on a path to health and better fitness.  

Thanks for reading!  





No comments:

Post a Comment