October 2015

October 2015
This is me! October 2015

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 2 Replacing my Cravings and WW Week 1 weigh in


Yesterday was my first weeks weigh in for weight watchers and, drum roll please....... 1.4lbs down!  Ok, the more reflection I've had on that the happier I am about that number.  I will admit at first I was a little disappointed that I did not have a big number.   So many people their first week have larger numbers between 5 and 9lbs.  I am not a small girl either where 1.4lbs would be great.  I am 230lbs.  Good things though.  It had to be all fat loss (no water weight affecting those numbers) because I had been working out and eating right.   It also kind of reconfirms for me that there might be something else going on here because the numbers could have been a bit higher loss.   I stayed within my point range, did not use any of my weekly points and only 2 out of my (I think 14) exercise points I earned, and I worked out four days this week (pretty hard workout, 30 minutes moderate intensity on an elliptical).   Having all of this data on weight watchers and my fitness pal two weeks before this will be good to show the doctor at the end of this month when we talk about what has been going on.  I believe until then Weight Watchers will help me from gaining more weight and maybe drop a few more pounds.  So, I am happy and have had a great start on this program and life style.

Two days ago I read Chapter 2 in Made to Crave.  I reread it this morning and decided it would be a great day to blog about this chapter specifically.  

Replacing My Cravings was about what specifically to do when having a craving and had a lot of other great insights and ideas.   It spoke about morning routines and how cravings can totally throw you off.  One statement that was made that stuck out to me and was not really touched on in reflection questions is pg. 28 "If I admit my struggles with food to my friends they might try to hold me accountable."   I believe in a later chapter we touch more on this, but this past week I have had a lot of support from family and friends.   I personally told those close to me about my mission to change my health and starting weight watchers.  Extremely supportive and helpful!  Not to mention my ongoing facebook updates.  I am sure some are already getting tired of my daily or bi-daily progress up dates, struggles, and successes but every seems to be routing for me.   I have never felt so encouraged by the comments and likes.

This week people that I see on a daily or weekly basis and even people I have just run into have encouraged me.  My husband has repeatedly asked how I have been doing and if I have worked out or not.   My friend and house-mate Amber has encouraged me for the good choices I have made and helped me in my cooking endeavors,  When making plans with my sister-in-law for lunch she mentioned she had left over lasagna and said something about not knowing how many points that would be.  We worked out that I would bring a salad and we would have a big salad before having a piece of lasagna which worked out great!   Just having people know and help keep me accountable has been wonderful.

Another statement that this chapter made that got me thinking was, "This wasn't really about the scale or what clothing size I was; it was about this battle that raged in my heart.   I have, still, currently a very unhealthy attachment to food that I am working on breaking and turning to something else.  Lysa makes a point to say that God never intended us to want anything more than we want Him.   That is what I am working on.  One day and on step at a time.

Now, at the end of this chapter of course there was the personal reflections.   Some of them I combined or really answered earlier.

When it comes to my relationship with food what repeated behaviors or events describe an unhealthy cycle I have with food.
   Well, bad habits we all have them.  When it comes to food I've developed plenty.   Before whenever watching T.V./movie, especially at night I always felt the need to have a snack.  Sometimes these snacks had to be 500 calories or more!  Now in the evening when I feel like I need a snack I get out vegetables or plan a few extra calories for health low points snack at night.  Fast food is another bad routine that I had developed.  When out and about I would not plan for meals and grab unhealthy, cheap, bad for you items while out.  There were even times when I would go through not even for a meal and eat!  I would always feel horrible after.   I have not had fast food sense starting this!  Lastly, I used to turn to food for comfort, when stressed, or upset...I am replacing that behavior with more productive things like prayer, puzzles, exercise...


How do you respond to the idea as using your cravings as a prompt to pray?   How has prayer helped or failed to help you in your previous food battles.

    Because this is a book/chapter I read before (like years before) I have learned this before and have found this a GREAT help.   Of course I had stopped doing this though until I restarted this book.  Praying really does help.  I am not sure if it is because giving into the craving feels more like failing God after you pray, it helps you talk yourself out of what you are think you want and focus on what is really going on, or if God is personally reaching out and redirecting your thoughts and cravings...if praying and turning to Him is filling your craving.  I think it is a combination of everything.  It really does help!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey, it takes a special kind of courage to do!

    You asked about praying, and as an atheist most would assume my answer to be "hogwash"(or some varation). My answer is that I still find prayer to be important, but I use it more like meditation in that I am communicating my frustrations to relieve some type of stress. I wrote a blog post about anchors awhile back, and it sounds to me like prayer is your anchor.

    A journey of a thousand miles, starts with but one step.

    Big Boned Biker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. That is inspiring and amazing your views of prayer and anchors. I am familiar with anchors and have used some but have not thought of prayer as one. I understand what you mean. I guess for me prayer is the anchor to the biggest guy I know! Thanks! I have checked out your blog and look forward to reading more!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete